Cheese, Onion and Potato Soup from The Peacock at Rowsley – serves 4.
- 400g onion
- 12g garlic
- a splash of vegetable oil
- 200g potatoes
- 35g butter
- 1200g chicken or vegetable stock
- 300g grated cheese
- 370g cream
- peel and slice the onions and garlic and sweat in a medium sized saucepan with the oil on a low heat until they are soft with no colour.
- Peel and slice the potatoes thinly, add to the pan with butter.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, turn up the heat and cook until the potato slices are cooked through.
- Add the cream and cheese and bring back to the boil.
- Blend until smooth and check for seasoning, if you would like the soup a little thinner and lighter, let down with a little milk.
- At The Peacock they serve this soup with chopped chives and a Granny Smith apple finely diced in the bottom of the bowl as this helps to cut through the richness of the soup.