Hake with Grenobloise Sauce from The Peacock at Rowsley – serves 4.
- 4 large portions of hake
- 2 tsbp veg or light olive oil
- 200g cold butter diced
- 35g lemon juice
- 8 lemon segments diced
- 30g capers
- 25g shallot, finely chopped
- 50g small croutons approximately 1/2cm in size
- 20g chopped parsley
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Get a non stick frying pan hot on the stove top then add the oil.
- Season the fish then carefully place into the pan and colour on one side until golden brown.
- Add the butter and turn down to a medium heat.
- Allow the butter to foam (you’re looking for a light nut brown colour, not too light but not too dark, it’s all about controlling the heat). Put the pan into the oven and cook the fish on one side until it is almost cooked.
- Remove the pan from the oven and gently flip the fish over. Add the lemon juice to the pan and baste the fish.
- Lift out the fish and keep warm.
- Place the pan back onto a medium heat and gently warm through. Add the rest of the ingredients and pour sauce over the fish portions.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and green vegetable or cauliflower.