Head chef at The Blue Lion in Wensleydale worked with a nutritionist and cycling expert to create the ‘Cyclist’s Special’
The meal aims to provide a great tasting and balanced lunch or dinner for cyclists, to boost their pedal power
Inspired by the UCI World Road Cycling Championships passing right by its door, a The Bell Inn has worked with a nutritionist to create a new dish specially for cyclists.
The Blue Lion in East Witton in Wensleydale, which dates back to the 18th century, has noticed an increase in cyclists stopping to refuel for lunch or overnight stays in recent years, but particularly since the Tour de France rode past in 2014. The route continues to increase in popularity for cyclists as more and more professional events promote the area’s ideal terrain and stunning scenery.
The Blue Lion’s chef, Jon Appleby, worked with Andrea Wood, a nutritional therapist and keen road cyclist who has recently set up an advisory business for those wanting to take up the sport. With Andrea’s advice, Jon has created the new dish to provide cyclists with the fuel they need, whilst keeping taste and freshness at the fore.
Dubbed the ‘Cyclist’s Special’ for short, the dish is a pan seared supreme of chicken with borlotti beans and a bulgar wheat salad, including pomegranate, sunflower seeds, roasted sweet potato, hazelnuts, olives and sourdough. A vegetarian version can be made with the chicken substituted for halloumi and the meal can be ordered as a starter or a main course.
‘Cyclist’s Special’ – Chicken and Borlotti Bean Bulgar Wheat Salad (serves 2)
- 2 x Chicken Breasts
- 6 x Tbsp Borlotti Beans
- 200g Uncooked Bulgar Wheat
- ½ x Pomegranate
- 2 x Tbsp Sunflower Seeds
- 1 x Large Sweet Potato
- 2 x Sourdough Slices
- 1 x Chicken or Vegetable Stock Cube
- Rapeseed or Olive Oil
- Optional: Hazelnuts, olives, kale and micro shoots
- Dice up the sweet potato into one inch cubes. Toss in rapeseed oil, lightly season and roast at 180°C until golden and tender.
- Pod the berlotti beans and place them in a pan, cover them with cold water, seasoning and a spring of thyme – cook until tender which will take approximately 30 mins. Once cooked toss in rapeseed oil and put to one side.
- Take the pomegranate and, using a rolling pin, tap the outside which will make the seeds fall away from the skin.
- Cook the bulgar wheat in either chicken or vegetable stock. Simmer gently until the bulgar wheat is plump and tender all the way through the grain.
- Seal the chicken on both sides then put in the oven at 180°C, skin side down, with some rapeseed oil. Make sure the chicken is cooked through before serving.
- Mix together the bulgar wheat, berlotti beans, sweet potato, pomegranate and sunflower seeds in a bowl, drizzle lightly with rapeseed or olive oil and season to taste.
- You can also add any other vegetables or salad leaves you enjoy – olives, hazelnuts and kale add good texture and flavour.
- Place the chicken on top and add some micro shoots and herbs to bring additional colour to the dish.
- Top with toasted sourdough slices to serve.